Tamiya’s Tiger – Early Production, finished in Russian front finish and Lions Roar PE kit.
This is one of the first kits that Tamiya issued for their then new 1/48 Armor series, complete with the controversal metal hull bottoms. I used the relatively inexpensive Lions Roar PE set, which include the side fenders, rear exhaust guards, and engine screens. There are other misc small items, but those first 3 item are worth the cost by themselves, but the set also includes a metal barrel. The price of the set is about the same as if you purchased just the fender set from Hauler.
The build started with the hull and the additon of the PE screens. Pretty much straight forward build followed by Tamiya white primer.
As I was to replace the plastic fender and rear exhaust guards, I did not put those on before I gave everything a coat of Tamiya Desert yellow.
Here’s the left side fendors, shaped and bent to show damage. As seems to be obligatory nowdays, leaving the 3rd fender off.
The other side with a complete set with minimal roughing up.
After a primer coat, they were attached with CA glue.
Attention now turns to the exhaust. Before the shrouds go on, the exhaust were given a rusted treatement using Vallejos’ rust set paint.
Here’s the PE shrouds, annealed with a candel flame and letting the nice soot biuld up on the outside.
Last minute decided to add the wiring conduits for the head lamps with some soft solder.
After attaching all the PE and the tracks, its was time for more paint. First the green camo, whcih was airbrushed on free hand.
Some future polish was added to the side turret and other spots for a glossy surface before decals were applied. Details wer then picked out by brush and the misc items added.
Then comes the weathering stage. First my typical oil wash of brown, followed by chipping and pin wash of brown mixed with black oil. Pigments were added to the tracks, fenders, and lower hull area for dried mud. Lighter pigments were added for dusty areas.